Saturday, April 16, 2011

Kobe and the F Word

So recently, my "favorite" NBA player in the world has been in the news.  Not for his play.  Not for his team going to the playoffs.  But for his choice of words he yelled at a referee after receiving a technical foul.  Kobe decided to use the F word, and I'm not talking about fuck.  He used a very derogative term used to describe homosexuals.

First of all, I want to say how much respect for David Stern, commissioner of the NBA.  He immediately fined Kobe $100,000 and said that phrases like that will not be tolerated in the NBA, and should not be tolerated in life.  I think it is amazing at how quickly he reacted.  Yes, something obviously had to be done, but Kobe being the "superstar" that he is, most would have expected a stern, public talking to.  The fact that he was fined as much as he was, although I'm sure it's not that much money, it still shows the world that the NBA will not tolerate that in their league.

Now let's talk about Kobe.  He apologized immediately, of course.  Said what he said was not supposed to be taken literally.  Excuse me?  Not supposed to be taken literally?  No.  It should not have been said AT ALL.  You are a role model.  Millions of people would kill to be you.  Children look up to you and want to be like you, and that is the word you choose to use?  Never once have you said, "I was wrong and should never have used that word."  How do you think a young, gay man felt when that was the word you chose to use to air out your frustration?  What would you have done if the referee had turned back to you and used the N word?  There is absolutely no way you would have been okay with that.  I'm not saying that is how the referee should have responded, but it shows the similarities in the two words.  I know you were angry, but that word should not be in your vocabulary, period.  As a world famous athlete, it is now your job to try and eliminate that word from everyone's vocabulary, especially the people who you just showed it was okay to use.

So Kobe, if you thought I hated you before, guess what...I have you even more.  I think you are a poor excuse for a role model.  You have A LOT to do to repair your image, and I know for some, myself included, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment