Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Start of Baseball Season

Okay, so I'm a little late for the start of baseball season, but I needed to give it a little time before I commented on anything really.  So here goes...

We'll start off with something bittersweet, but something positive.  On Friday, the Mariners celebrated the life of their former announcer, Dave Niehaus, who died this offseason.  Dave had been the voice of the Mariners since Diego Segui threw that first pitch in 1977.  He breathed Mariners baseball.  He suffered a heart attack, and Mariners fans lost a member of their family.  He had been around for so long, and you were so used to hearing him when watching games on TV or listening to the radio, that it's still hard to realize that he is gone.  So before the home opener, the mariners paid tribute to the voice.  They had a special performance of a song called "My Oh My," his signature catch phrase, put a banner up over the broadcast booth, put patches on one of the sleeves on the Mariners uniform, and had his family come out on to the field so his wife could throw out the ceremonial first pitch.  His family has such poise, it is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.  When his widow went to the mound for that pitch, she got one of the best standing ovations I have ever seen at Safeco Field.  Instead of breaking into tears like any woman who recently lost her husband would be more than allowed to do, she smiled so brightly and waved to the fans who loved her husband almost as much as she did.  She has all of my respect, and that of the Mariners family as well.  Dave, we miss you, will always miss you, and I hope grandma broke out the rye bread and mustard, and you are enjoying some grand salami's wherever you are.  My oh my.

Okay, now to get to the business of the Mariners play.  What the fuck?  We win our first two, get all excited, and lose every game after.  And for the home opener, the day we are supposed to be honoring Dave Niehaus, we lose 12-3 to the Indians.  Are you fucking kidding me?  Now, I love the Mariners.  I love them with all of my heart.  But I always compare it to an abusive relationship.  I give them my love, and they don't do anything to love me back.  I watch and am constantly disappointed with how they play.  I've actually come to expect them to lose, which is pathetic.  I am shocked when they win.  I mean, honestly, look at our pitching rotation.  Yes we have 2010 Cy Young winner, King Felix, and thank god for that.  Think of how bad we would be if we didn't have him.  And Erik Bedard, seriously?  That was the worst trade in Mariners history and we sign him again?  You have to be kidding me.  I know they say he is healthy this year and it will be his come back year, but I've heard that all before.  I'm just waiting for the shoulder to go once again and him to spend yet another season on the DL.  Even if he does pitch this year, think of all the talent we gave up to get him, and think of how often he has pitched in those seasons we've had him.  Was it really worth it?  In my mind, no.  If we were going to give up all that talent, I want someone who is going to play continuously.

Trust me, I will be a Mariners fan until the day I die, but I know I'm not the only one in saying you guys are major league baseball players.  You get paid how much money to play a game?  You are better than most everyone in the world and have a job that millions of people envy.  Get your shit together and win some games.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment